Answer the following questions and you will have a great start to your story.
- Who? Who was / is involved — your Group or District, a supporting organization or company? Who does your news affect/who does it benefit?
- What? What is new? What have you completed or taken part in?
- Where? Where is this happening? Please provide a postcode if you have one
- When? What is the timing of this? Does this add significance?
- Why? Why is this story of interest — what does it say about Scouting that is new or surprising?
As a starting point, writing down the answers to these questions can be helpful. It’s then a matter of putting them together in short punchy sentences. That sounds simple, but can be quite challenging. If you can’t get the words right straight away, keep trying.
Images (pictures and video) increase the impact of your story. Pictures and videos taken on mobile phones are suitable for blog and website publication.
Pictures for publication in the press should be in the ratio 16:9 & minimum 9.6 mega-pixel resolution. Check your camera settings.